Link to MDEQ Home   Link to

Michigan Recycled Materials Marketing Directory On-line Help

This on-line directory holds information for over 350 companies that have stated they accept certain materials for recycling or reuse from Michigan generators or community programs.

The materials in this directory fall into eight different sections:

  1. Drums and Barrels
  2. Glass
  3. Metals
  4. Oils and Solvents
  5. Pallets, Wood and Yard Waste
  6. Paper
  7. Plastics
  8. Miscellaneous


  • Cleaning Service: Containers that have held hazardous waste must be triple-rinsed to meet EPA standards before reuse or reclamation. Some reclaimers offer this service.
  • Fiber Drums: Fiber drums are used mainly to ship and store non-hazardous products and liquids. They generally come in 30 and 55 gallon sizes. These may have fiber sides with metal ends.
  • Metal Drums: These containers come in two varieties: open head and closed head. Open head metal drums are used to ship and store powders, dry materials and wastes. Closed head metal drums are used for liquids. Sizes vary between 5 and 55 gallons.
  • Plastic Drums: Plastic drums vary in size from 1 gallon pails to 55 gallon drums. Plastic drums and barrels are used for shipping and storing acids, soaps, non-hazardous and non-flammable liquids, petroleum products, paints, solvents, oils and resins.
  • Other: Other types of drums may be of interest to the listed company. See notes for that company for more information.


1. Always empty containers thoroughly. Any material left in the drum is a wasted resource that has already been paid for by your business. Dirty containers are not as valuable to reclaimers. If material left in a container is considered a hazardous waste, your company is liable for its final disposition.

2. Avoid container damage. The value of used containers is highest if there are no structural defects.

3. Make appropriate choices. Avoid disposable containers. Reuse containers whenever possible. Recycle damaged or unusable containers.

Whether selling or giving used containers to reconditioners, secondary users or processors, businesses should know who is taking the containers and what will be done with them. This is especially important if the containers have held hazardous materials. For more information about this topic, call the Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-662-9278 and request the fact sheet “Managing Used Containers.”



  • Clear Glass: Colorless glass used for glass beverage bottles and food jars. The materials is called “flint” by the glass industry. Flint has higher value than other recycled glass.
  • Green Glass: Green colored glass used for beverage bottles.
  • Brown Glass: Brown or amber colored glass used for beverage bottles and food jars.
  • Mixed Glass: Mixtures of clear, green and brown container glass. Mixed color glass currently has few markets.
  • Window Glass: Glass from building windows. This does not include automobile window glass that will be checked under “other” and mentioned in the comments area if a company accepts it.
  • Light Bulbs: Incandescent bulbs. Few companies recycle these items due to the number of components that need to be separated before material can be reclaimed.
  • Fluorescent Bulbs:* The bulbs may test as hazardous waste. A recycling facility may have to be licensed to manage hazardous waste Several states have banned landfill disposal of these items because of the possibility of leaching hazardous materials. Generally, these bulbs need to be packaged carefully for shipment to a recycler since most companies will not accept broken bulbs. Always contact the recycler to get preparation instructions.
  • Other Glass:* This includes forms of glass not otherwise classified such as ovenware, drinking glasses, mirrors, plate glass with solar shield coating, etc. Check the comments section for any company taking other glass.

Contamination Limits. Since the largest use of recycled glass is the manufacture of new glass, freedom from contamination is critical. Paper labels and foreign material that are easily rinsed away are not a problem but paint residues and different types of glass (such as ceramics, dishware and ovenware) are major problems. Be sure to contact the company whose services are of interest to get specific information regarding preparation.

*Waste Management Division guidance documents for electric lamps and universal waste are available to assist in managing fluorescent bulbs and other potentially hazardous glass. Call the Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-662-9278 to request copies. Another fact sheet that may help answer questions about managing electric lamps is "Handling Spent Electric Lamps Fact Sheet,"



  • Aluminum Cans: Post-consumer beverage cans.
  • Tin Cans: Post-consumer tinned steel cans, plain steel cans and steel cans with aluminum ends. Includes paint cans that have been emptied and lids. (The emptied cans and lids may have a thin dried paint coating that is left as the paint is used or drained from the container.) Also includes spray cans that been emptied and depressurized to the extent possible with the spray mechanism. Check with your market. Not all companies that accept tin cans will accept paint and aerosol cans.
  • Aluminum: All scrap aluminum other than cans.
  • Copper/Brass/Bronze: All scrap copper, brass and bronze. Metals may be plated. Includes auto radiators. This column does not include insulated wire and cable, which is categorized as “Other.”
  • Iron/Steel: All scrap iron and low carbon steel, including galvanized steel. High carbon alloy steels are not included; they are categorized as “Other.”
  • Stainless Steel: All stainless steel.
  • White Goods: Used appliances. Many processors of white metal require removal of all capacitors to avoid potential PCB contamination of their facilities. As of July 1, 1992, CFC’s used in refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and other cooling systems cannot be exhausted into the atmosphere. Proper recapture is mandatory before an appliance can be reclaimed. Check with your market to see if refrigeration reclamation is part of the service or if CFC’s must be removed before white goods are accepted.
  • Zinc: Cast zinc scrap.
  • Other Metal: Gold, silver, platinum, palladium, nickel, magnesium, mercury, titanium, lead, alloy steels and all other metals not otherwise classified. “Other” metals are described in the “Comments” block of each applicable listing. Some specialty items are gold reclamation from printed circuit boards and silver reclamation from film and spent photochemicals. Battery reclaimers can be found in the Miscellaneous section of this directory.

Note: Metal reclamation is one of the oldest forms of recycling. There may be more metal recyclers in your area. Check the local telephone book under “scrap metals.”



  • Antifreeze: Used ethylene glycol/water mixtures. There are two types of recycling businesses: 1) those that filter and chemically treat and 2) those that distill. There are also mobile antifreeze recyclers who will come to your facility. 
  • CF:* Cutting fluid. This can come in two varieties: synthetic and oil based. Used oil based cutting fluids can be treated as used oil.
  • FO:* Fuel oil.
  • IO:* Industrial oil.
  • Lube Grease:* Lubricating grease.
  • Oil Filters: Oil filters contain residual oil, metal and fiber. Some businesses provide a reclamation service for these items.
  • Paint: Solid, partially solid and liquid residues that result from painting processes. May be oil based or water based paints. This category also includes unused power paints. This material may test as a hazardous waste. Recyclers may need to be licensed to handle hazardous waste.
  • PSF:* Power steering fluid.
  • Solvents: Common types of recyclable solvents are the aliphatics (hexane, heptane, stoddard solvent, mineral spirits), aromatics (toluene, xylene), ketones (acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone), esters (ethyl acetate, butyl acetate), alcohols (butyl, methyl, isopropyl) chlorinated solvents (methylene chloride, perchloroethylene, trichloroethylene, 1,1,1 trichloroethane and 1,1,2 trichlorotrifluoroethane). Contact the listed companies to find out exactly what material they accept.
  • Transmission Fluid:* Transmission fluid.
  • Used Oil:* Used motor oil.
  • Other: See comments section for explanation of other materials accepted by company.

*Items marked with asterisk fall under the hazardous waste exemption for used oil if they are reclaimed. **All of these materials may be considered hazardous wastes if they are disposed. For more information, see Hazardous Waste Management Literature and Forms.

For more information on managing oil and solvent wastes, call the Environmental Assistance Center (EAC) at 1-800-662-9278 to request the following fact sheets: “Preventing Groundwater Contamination,” “Considerations in Selecting a Distillation Unit for On-Site Solvent Recycling,” or “Considerations in Selecting a Commercial (Off-Site) Solvent Recycling Service.”. Waste Management Division guidance documents for managing antifreeze and used oil & spent filters are also available through the EAC.



  • Bark: Tree bark and debris.
  • Construction Debris: Scrap pieces of lumber and building supplies from construction sites. See comments section for specifics on companies that accept this material.
  • Demolition Debris: Material that is recoverable from the demolition of buildings. See comments section for specifics for companies that accept this material.
  • Grass: Lawn and yard mower clippings.
  • Leaves: Leaves that have fallen from trees during the fall season.
  • Pallets: Used wooden pallets. May also include used metal, corrugated cardboard and plastic pallets.
  • Scrap Lumber: Used lumber. Includes plywood, wood particle board and shredded lumber.
  • Sawdust: Residues from sawing, sanding and other wood finishing processes.
  • Stumps/Trees: Material generated from areas being cleared for development.
  • Other: Includes any wood material not listed in other categories or a special service provided by the company.



  • Computer Paper: White sulphite or sulphate paper used in data processing. Known as CPO (Computer Printout) in the recycling business. Excludes computer paper made with groundwood. (Paper processors use a chemical test to determine the presence of groundwood.)
  • High Grade: High grade office paper. Uncoated and untreated, white or off-white, sulphite or sulphate paper, such as letterhead or bond quality paper. Paper may have any color of print on it and may include steel staples.
  • Mixed Office: Mixtures of white and colored sulphite or sulphate paper used in offices, excluding paper coated with wax, carbon paper and plastics. Termed “file stock.” May include steel staples, paper clips and heavy paper binders.
  • OCC: Old corrugated containers. Clean corrugated containers that have no more than a small amount of plastic tape on the surface.
  • Paperboard: Paper commonly used for cereal boxes and other consumer goods.
  • ONP: Old newsprint. Newspapers.
  • Magazines: Clay-coated, glossy paper commonly used for magazines.
  • Phone Books: Telephone directories, both white pages and yellow pages.
  • Office Paper Recycling Services: These are office paper recycling services that are offered by some companies exclusively, while other companies offer this service in conjunction with other recycling or waste hauling services.
  • Other: Miscellaneous paper grades that are described in the “Comments” block. Contamination Limits Limits vary with end use. Contact one or more paper brokers or processors to determine quality limits that are required.

For more information regarding paper waste reduction, see the fact sheets, “Reducing Corrugated Cardboard Waste” or “Reducing Office Paper Waste.”



  • Plastic ____________________________________Plastic Container Description Code Number*

  • ABS Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene ------------------------------------------------7
  • Acetate Cellulose acetate -------------------------------------------------------------7
  • Acrylic Methyl methacrylate ----------------------------------------------------------7
  • HDPE High density polyethylene ----------------------------------------------------2
  • LDPE/LLDPE Low density polyethylene and linear low density polyethylene -4
  • Nylon Polyamide -----------------------------------------------------------------------7
  • PET Polyethylene terephthalate ------------------------------------------------------1
  • PP Polypropylene ----------------------------------------------------------------------5
  • PS Polystyrene includes expanded (foam) and rubber modified polystyrene -6
  • PU Polyurethane -----------------------------------------------------------------------7
  • PVC Polyvinyl chloride (flexible or rigid) --------------------------------------------3
  • Thermoplastics, Eng. Engineered thermoplastics ---------------------------------7
  • Thermoplastics, Mixed Mixed thermoplastics --------------------------------------7
  • Other Any plastic that cannot be otherwise classed -------------------------------7

*The Plastic Container Code Number System was developed by the plastics industry to assist recyclers in identifying the various types of plastics that are used in making containers for consumer products. The numbers are to be molded in, or printed on, the surfaces of containers. The code system is being used for non-container and non-consumer plastic products in many instances.











  • Abrasives: Includes powders, balls, shot, grit and irregularly shaped pieces of abrasive media, including grinding wheels and pads.
  • Batteries, Dry Cell:* Solid electrolytic batteries, including alkaline, carbon zinc, lithium, mercury, nickel cadmium, silver, etc. This material may test as a hazardous waste. The recycling company may need to be licensed to manage hazardous waste.
  • Batteries, Lead Acid: These batteries are used primarily in transportation vehicles and may test as a hazardous waste. They may be exempt from hazardous waste regulations if they are reclaimed.
  • CFC’s: On July 1, 1992, it became illegal to knowingly vent ozone depleting compounds used as refrigerants into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air conditioning or refrigerating appliances. This material may test as a hazardous waste. It may be exempt from hazardous waste regulations if it is reclaimed.
  • Electronics:* This category includes computers, copiers, telephone systems and many other electronic devices. See Comments for more information about what a company is interested in. The MDEQ classifies cathode ray tubes (CRT's) found in televisions and computer monitors as electric lamps. See the guidance documents on electric lamps, universal waste and electronic equipment for more information.
  • Office Furniture: Many office furniture units are being refurbished for reuse. These companies are interested in obtaining used modular units.
  • Textiles: Woven and non-woven fibrous materials of any kind.
  • Tires/Rubber: Tires and rubber scrap. Terms often used by these companies are tire derived fuel (TDF) and crumb rubber modifier (CRM). Michigan has specific regulations for scrap tire haulers and collection sites. For a current list of registered scrap tire haulers or registered scrap tire collection sites in Michigan, call the Scrap Tire Program, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Waste Management Division at 517/335-4035.
  • Toner Cartridges: This category contains companies that accept toner, copier, fax cartridges, printer ribbons, and other replaceable printing devices. Check Comments for specifics.
  • Other: See comments section for an explanation of what materials are accepted or what special service is provided.

*Some of these materials might be classified as universal wastes. For a Waste Management Division guidance document regarding universal waste, contact the Environmental Assistance Division at 1-800-662-9278.

For content issues contact: Office of Environmental Assistance, (800) 662-9278
For technical issues contact: DEQ-Webmaster